Thank you for your interest in working with Lupus LA. We currently have one open position:
Alhambra Adult Support Group Facilitator
Lupus LA is looking for an experienced support group facilitator. This person will report to the Program Manager. The Alhambra Adult Support Group Facilitator will present educational material and facilitate group discussions relating to lupus. During these groups, the facilitator will provide knowledge, skills and tools for participants to use in order to help them to feel supported. Oral and written fluency in English is a requirement for this position. Lupus LA is an equal opportunity employer.
HOURS: Third Tuesday of each month 6:00pm-8:30pm (Group meets from 6:30pm-8:00pm) Please note that this position is for a total of two and a half hours per month total.
LOCATION: Alhambra Civic Center Library, 101 S. First Street, Alhambra, CA 91801
COMPENSATION: $35.00/hour to $40.00/hour depending on education & experience
The Support Group Facilitator will:
- Create a safe haven for sharing feelings, concerns, and thoughts about lupus and lupus related problems, and provide coping mechanisms.
- Act in accordance of the Lupus LA guidelines.
- Model appropriate communication and leadership skills.
- Provide reliable and factual information about lupus.
- Build network of medical professionals, hospitals, rheumatologists, etc.
- Maintain confidentiality and respect the individual needs of group members.
- Limit self-disclosure to information that is of clear benefit to group members.
- Address crises both within the group and individually while maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Coordinate the group, time, location, and size of each group.
- Update the status of the group, including changes in meeting dates or times, cancelled meetings, and group size.
- Notify all group members and Lupus LA no less than 24 hours in advance if group is cancelled.
- Provide back-up coverage for other support groups as needed.
- Complete all necessary paperwork (group reports, sign in sheets, confidentially agreement).
QUALITIES AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Knowledge and understanding of lupus.
- Thorough understanding of group dynamics and group process.
- Excellent therapeutic and personal boundaries and ethics.
- Ability to perform crisis intervention.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
EDUCATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university.
- Local travel is required. Must have a valid California drivers’ license and dependable transportation. Must also provide proof of auto insurance.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Program Manager, Katherine McMahon at: firstname.lastname@example.org