It is important to have a strong understanding of what you need to do as well as for what each medication and procedure are intended. One great way to gain more understanding is to ask questions about every part of your care. Below you will find a list of general health questions as well as questions related to your lupus treatment plan.
- What do you think is causing my problem?
- Is there more than one condition (disease) that could be causing my problem?
- What tests will you do to diagnose the problem and which of the conditions is present?
- How good are the tests for diagnosing the problem and the conditions?
- How safe are the tests?
- What is the likely course of this condition? What is the long-term outlook with and without treatment?
- What are my treatment options? How effective is each treatment option?
- What are the benefits versus risks of each treatment option?
- If my symptoms worsen, what should I do on my own? When should I contact you?
- Are you aware of each of the medications that I am taking? Can they adversely interact with the medications you are prescribing for me?
- Should we monitor for side effects of the medications that you are prescribing or for their interactions with other medications I am taking?
Questions about your Lupus Treatment Plan:
- Could any medications I’m taking be triggering my lupus symptoms?
- Could another condition be causing my lupus symptoms?
- Has the disease already damaged my kidneys or other organs?
- Should I have a bone density test?
- Should I be taking calcium or other supplements?
- What are the possible side effects of my lupus drugs?
- How long will I need to take these lupus drugs?
- Is it safe for me to become pregnant if I have lupus? Are my lupus medications safe to take while I’m pregnant?
- How often should I have checkups?
- What lifestyle changes do you recommend?
These questions are intended to help you better prepare for doctor visits as well as help you feel empowered as a patient. If you have any questions, please call Lupus LA at 310-657-5567.