In order to get people to understand lupus, they must first know about lupus. Increasing awareness is an important part of our advocacy work. One way to do that is by getting a proclamation from a city official. May is Lupus Awareness Month and a great time to do this.
Please keep in mind it can take a few weeks or longer to get a proclamation so make sure you start early. If you have a relationship with a state or city legislator, you can ask them for assistance and support in obtaining a proclamation. Otherwise, contact your local representative and start the process.
The process may include:
- Fill out any necessary forms and include a letter stating your request.
- You may be asked to supply language for the proclamation. See the sample proclamation language below.
- Send the information well in advance of the requested dates.
- Find out the procedure for picking up the proclamation. You may be able to have it presented to you. This is a good opportunity to contact local news media to cover it.
- After you receive the proclamation:
- Take photos and issue a press release after the event.
• Be sure to send a letter to thank the official who sponsored your proclamation.
• Share your proclamation with Lupus LA. Mail or email us a copy.
If you have any questions about how to get a Proclamation in your City, please call Katherine at 310-657-5667.